AmpliTaq Gold vs AmpliTaq: where is the magic ?

Dr G R Taylor ai80 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Aug 20 12:16:17 EST 1996

We noticed that Amplitaq Gold doesn't work in ammonium buffers like
Boehringer's or some of the multiplex buffers.  So there's a feature not
explained by company-line "just-so" stories.  I suppose that the
modification is not destabilised in the presence of ammonium buffers and
hence the enzyme doesn't activate. I think the policy of some companies
to offer cling-wrapped kits to the science community without clear
explanations of what they contain (doubtless patented anyway) is very
damaging to the culture of scientific education and openess. It breeds
kit-generation scientists who never really understand what they are
doing.
--
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/ai80/
mailto:gtaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk