anti-heparin and EDTA PCR tricks

Dan Andrews Dan.Andrews at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 02:11:22 EST 1996

Hi to all in ether-land,

	I have a couple of DNA samples that I have extracted from either EDTA-
or heparinized blood samples and unsuprisingly they are just about
impossible to amplify using PCR.  I have tried using microcons and
ethanol precipitating the DNA to remove the heparin and EDTA, but to no
avail (I can amplify it just, but not always).  I have heard that you
can add heparinase to a DNA solution to remove heparin, and you can heat
treat a DNA solution to remove EDTA.  Has anybody tried these tricks?
Do they really work?

Thanks, Dan

Dan Andrews
John Curtin School of Medical Research