Using TdT to clean up sequencing reactions?

edwardm at hhmi.ucla.edu edwardm at hhmi.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 20 17:04:11 EST 1996

   Recently a company sales rep told me that really clean sequencing gels
that are produced from various companies are cleaned up using TdT.  This
enzymes apparently can add lots of nucleotides to the newly synthesized
DNA strands that are not terminated by the dideoxy nucleotides in the
mixes.  Thus those annoying stops in all four lanes are eliminated because
the ssDNA never really runs into the gel.
   My questions is: Does anybody have a protocol for how this is done?