DNA gel extraction

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Aug 20 15:35:23 EST 1996

Taek H. You (tyou at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:

> I frequently use a gel extraction method where I poke a hole at the
> bottom of a .5 ml tume and plug some whatman with T.E. to spin a gel
> through to extract DNA.  Does anyone know where this technique came
> from?  Original publication would be nice.
> Thanks in advance.

: I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that there was a little
: techniques article in NAR about 2 years ago that described this method.

> I thought it was from BioTechniques.
> The least I can say is that the described method or similar method was on
> BioTechniques a while ago.

One that I know of is:

Ultrafast DNA Recovery from Agarose By Centrifugation Through a Paper Slurry
Chuang, S.-E.; Blattner, F. R.  BioTechniques 17:4:634-636

I'm pretty sure that there was one in BioTechniques much earlier
on using a paper disk punched out of whatman paper and a tube with
a pin hole in the bottom (1987-1990), but I can't find it at their
search site.