glycerol to avoid protein precipitation?...

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Aug 21 02:18:23 EST 1996

Arioch (sai at topaz.microbio.uab.edu) wrote:
> 	...had heard seomwhere that adding glycerol to purified protein
> and then freezing them keeps the breakdown at a minimum and prevents
> protein precipitation (after freeze-thawing from the -20 degrees C).

It's a common way to freeze proteins - just think of all that restriction
endonucleases :-)

To find out if it is of help for your protein of interest, you have to
try. Try different glycerol concentrations (actually, above approx.
30% v/v glycerol the solution won't freeze anymore). Some proteins
don't like -20 degrees C. In my experience, glycerol often improves
activity. For example, protein kinase A doesn't like to be frozen in
the absence of glycerol.

--Cornelius.