What really indicates induction?

Susan Patrick patrics at okstate.edu
Wed Aug 21 16:42:24 EST 1996

I need advice from journal reviewers and/or authors who are knowledgible
about experimental design requirements necessary to show mRNA induction.

I will be performing northerns to quantitate mRNA.  I want to show
conclusively if a particular gene (marker for differentiation) is or is
not induced by a drug treatment.  I am particularly concerned about
internal controls.  (In my experiment, F9 cells will be differentiating,
and I think some internal controls, such as cytoskeleton components, may
be inapproprate.)

Any advice would be appreciated.  Also, if you know of a paper which
demonstrates a thorough experimental design, let me know. Many papers do
not show or discuss all the controls.

Thanks!!!

Susan Patrick
Email: patrics at okstate.edu