Discrepancy between OD-value on spec and DNA on agarose gel

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.med.utah.edu
Sat Aug 10 19:11:44 EST 1996

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Botma Visser wrote:
> When I determined the
> concentration of the plasmid DNA at 260 nm, I got a very
> high reading, with the concentration going up to 1.1 mg/mL
> from a 100 mL prep.  I then ran 500 ng plasmid DNA
> (calculated using the determined concentration) on an
> agarose gel, and saw nothing.

Botma,

Single nucleotides also absorves at 260. I bet you have a large degradation
in your samples. Use other way to extract plasmid.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |