Tricks for pipetting detergents??

Bart Sefton bart_sefton at QM.salk.edu
Mon Aug 19 19:33:22 EST 1996

In article <32177009.0 at axe.netdoor.com>, hutchins at netdoor.com (Gary Smyly)
wrote:

> Paul Wakenight (pw at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu) wrote:
> : I'm sure everyone has tried to pipette NP40, etc.  What a mess.
> : Outside of using a graduated cylinder, is there anyway to do this
> : accurately?
> :
Sorry I missed the beginning of this.  I hope I'm not repeating anything.
I think that the best thing to do is to make a 10-20% stock solution by
weighing the detergent out in the container you want to use to dissolve
it.  This way, the only thing that matters is what gets into your beaker,
not how much entered your pipet.  If you're extremely fastidious, you can
calculate the volume delivered from the density of the detergent, but this
almost certainly is not of much importance.

Bart