Molecular biology software search

Wulf Dirk Leuschner wdl at gen.mpib-tuebingen.mpg.de
Thu Aug 22 14:51:37 EST 1996

sczpjh at szn1.nott.ac.uk wrote:

>Gary Kucera <kucera~gt at glaxo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dominique Larrouy <larrouyd at rangueil.inserm.fr> wrote:
>> >Does it exist a software similar to the fusion of plasmap (for drawing
>> >and plasmids constructs) and DNA strider (for sequence analysis)
>>

>> You can download a demo version of WinPlas plasmid drawing program for
>> the PC at the following URL:
>> http://phantom.mindvox.com/~goldstei/winplas.html
>>
>> Don't know how good it is though.  Maybe you could post your opinion
>> after trying it.
>> ____________________________________
>> Gary T. Kucera, Scientist
>> Cellular Sciences/Transgenics Group
>> GlaxoWellcome Research, Inc.
>> Five Moore Drive
>> Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
>>

>There's somthing called Plasmid toolkit at
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/microbesoft

>i think it's great for quick, quality plasmid maps, the website's really slow
>though so get it from indiana ftp site or mirrors :)
>phil

Tried the WinPlas plasmid drawing program (DEMO!) once. It seems to
have all the features that are required for high quality plasmid maps.
Drawbacks: (1) It is only a demo version and it is very rudimentary
(for instance, the print mode is blocked) . (II) It is far too
expensive (>$600, if I remember correctly).
WDL