What really indicates induction?

Riekeltje Koedood rkoedood at bio.bu.edu
Thu Aug 22 12:31:31 EST 1996

Here are 2 references you can look up for ideas:
Phillipp et al. (1994) Dev. Biol. 165: 602-614
Meier et al (1995) Dev. Biol. 169: 1-14

In these 2 papers AP-2 expression changes was compared to Sp1 and MTF-1
as 'internal controls'. However, as already mentioned, the choice of
internal controls is quite arbitrary and can always be debated.

Good luck.

Marieke Koedood

Susan Patrick (patrics at okstate.edu) wrote:
: I need advice from journal reviewers and/or authors who are knowledgible
: about experimental design requirements necessary to show mRNA induction.

: I will be performing northerns to quantitate mRNA.  I want to show
: conclusively if a particular gene (marker for differentiation) is or is
: not induced by a drug treatment.  I am particularly concerned about
: internal controls.  (In my experiment, F9 cells will be differentiating,
: and I think some internal controls, such as cytoskeleton components, may
: be inapproprate.)

: Any advice would be appreciated.  Also, if you know of a paper which
: demonstrates a thorough experimental design, let me know. Many papers do
: not show or discuss all the controls.

: Thanks!!!

: Susan Patrick
: Email: patrics at okstate.edu