Biotin Pcr primers and anealing temperature

Karl Voss karl at
Thu Aug 22 11:01:17 EST 1996

Does anyone know if having 5' biotin on pcr primers lowers the anealing
temperature that they need.  I have been getting very good pcr results with
a non-biotinilated primer set that have short 5' sequence overhangs to be
used for directional cloning.  I wanted to directly sequence the pcrs so
I got a biotinilated primer made that did not have the extra 5' bases.
The resulting pcr bands are very weak.  I have quantified the primers
carefully and assume that they are of high purity (they were purchased from
Research Genetics).

Has anyone run into similar situations?  If so I would like to hear
from you.

Thanks to everybody for reading this.

If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough
features yet

Karl Voss
Department of Chemistry
University of Alberta