What really indicates induction?

Rick Nicholson R.Nicholson at cfi.unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 22 02:50:37 EST 1996

Suasan patrick writes > I will be performing northerns to quantitate
mRNA.  I want to show
> conclusively if a particular gene (marker for differentiation) is or is
> not induced by a drug treatment.  I am particularly concerned about
> internal controls.  (In my experiment, F9 cells will be differentiating,
> and I think some internal controls, such as cytoskeleton components, may
> be inapproprate.)

The only real way to show that transcription of your gene is regulated
by treatment with your drug is to do nuclear run-on assays.  As you will
be hybridising the hot RNA to slot blots of your particular gene and
controls you will be able to probe several different control genes at
one time.

Richard C. Nicholson, BSc PhD
Senior Research Fellow
Centre for Immunology