re-using electroporation cuvettes

Claire Schimke css at box-c.nih.gov
Fri Aug 23 09:57:59 EST 1996

In article <spenneb-2308961620170001 at vgsec.uni-muenster.de>, "Ralf
Spenneberg" <spenneb at uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I was told that cuvettes used for the electroporation of E.coli could be
> reused. I was thinking that someone might have tried out different
> detergent for cleaning and has established a most effective method.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Ralf.

We use invitrogen cuvettes and after electroporating we rinse them two or
three times with water and then once with 70% EtOH.  We then leave them
filled with 70% EtOH overnight.  The following day way bake them for 20
minutes or so.  Baking for longer tends to cause the cuvettes to warp or
crack.  Hope this helps

--

                                    /\~~~/\
                                   >       < /\~~~/\