Westerns-blotting-BSA

Robert Hindges hindges at vetbio.unizh.ch
Fri Aug 23 11:19:02 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960822141048.1166A-100000 at isnet>, Steve
<smiles at bgsm.edu> wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> I'm doing a normal western blot, but our polyclonal antibodies seem to be
> binding to many of the E. Coli proteins. It is possible that the
> antibodies were raised to our protein, as well as any bacterial proteins
> present in the blood during an infection in the rabbit.
>
> Is there any protocol to add cell extract to the BSA blocking buffer, or
> the primary antibodies, which will prevent all this binding?
>
> Or is there a better way to block?
>
> Thanks.
>
> STEVE

hey Steve

I wonder if you see the background already with the pre-immune antibodies.
sometimes the rabbits show a background already before immunization. in my
case I had to test several rabbits, until I chose one for immunization. it
is a little bit more work, but sometimes it is worth it.

robert.