re-using electroporation cuvettes

Justinian jtbrown at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:34:39 EST 1996

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Ralf Spenneberg wrote:

> I was told that cuvettes used for the electroporation of E.coli could be
> reused. I was thinking that someone might have tried out different
> detergent for cleaning and has established a most effective method.
> Any help would be appreciated.

	i always just soak mine in ~70% EtOH until the next time that i
need them (b/c i'm lazy & don't wanna clean them until absolutely
necessary :)  then i use a cuvette washer to wash them with very dilute
soap then many rinses w/water.  then i dry them in the hood, then put
them under a germicidal UV lamp ~10 min.
	occasionally (esp when i'm in a hurry) i don't clean one well
enough and i get an *arc*.  ouch. oh, well. i always plate the arcked
cells anyway and have even gotten good results :)

Justinian
Emperor of Molecular Microbiological Fabulousness and Genetics
University of Texas at Austin
Austin Texas 78712

	http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jtbrown/

"You! Out of the pool!" ---the Gene Police