FITC fading kinetics

Didier Thomas dmthomas at
Thu Aug 22 21:03:17 EST 1996

In article <4vkhfn$ed1 at>, grggta at (Graham
Atherton) wrote:

> Has anyone a feel for the rate at which FITC and similar fade when used for
> immunohistochemical staining of Rat cells. I seem to get significant fade
> over the first fews days and weeks - this means I cannot go back to reasses
> slides a week old despite keeping them in Citiflour in the dark at 4oC. Any
> way to minimise this problem?
> Many Thanks
> Graham Atherton
> grggta at

Dear Graham,

to minimize this fading problem, I recommend you to use the Prolong
Antifade kit from Molecular Probes (Oregon, USA) ref# P-7481. Works fine.
It seems you can keep your preparations for at least one month in the
fridge without loosing any signal intensity.

Good luck

Didier Thomas
University of California, Irvine
College of Medicine