Qiagen: This is ridiculous

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Sat Aug 24 15:20:58 EST 1996

I've been using Qiagen DNA preps for years.  The quality is great; as
everyone who's used them knows, though, the yield is at best
inconsistent.  At random intervals, and for no apparent reason, there
will be absolutely no DNA produced.  I've been willing to deal with that
when I was getting 5 out of 6, or whatever, with good yields; with
important DNA, I'd always run duplicates to be reasonably sure of getting
something.

In the last two days, I've run 10 Qiagen DNA preps - 8 midi-preps, two
maxipreps - and got one (1) with detectable DNA.  Meanwhile two identical
cultures, run on a different company's resin, gave 160 ug and 175 ug of
DNA from 200 ml bugs (low copy-number plasmid).

One out of ten is not acceptable.  Over the years I've gone around and
around with Qiagen reps, I've tried dozens of variations on the protocol,
I've tried everything they suggest, I follow the directions exactly, and
in spite of it I just spent two days pouring DNA down the sink.

The hell with it.  Until I hear from users that the Qiagen preps are
reliable, I'm not going to use them any more.

Blowing off steam,

Ian