LiCl in DNA prep

Mon Aug 26 10:35:53 EST 1996

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Rodney Earl Pettway wrote:

> Can anyone answer this.  What role does LiCl play in DNA extraction
> protocols?  This person in our lab uses it in their DNA extraction
> protocol and I can not figure out why and they don't know either.
> Rodney Earl Pettway
At 2M, LiCl precipitates most of the RNA in the prep. The smaller pieces
of RNA, however, is difficult to precipitate in this way and a subsequent
RNase treatment is necessary. At this high salt concentration, some of
the proteins also precipitate along with RNA.

			  Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003