DNA Quantitation-Quick and Dirty

Yoonsuk Park yoonpark at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 26 18:27:10 EST 1996

> David Barrass (Barrass at pplros.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > I need a rapid method of determining DNA concentration of a large number
> > of
> > samples on a routine basis.  The values will be in the range 100ng/ml to
> > 1ug/ml
> > but the actual concentration is only required roughly (a factor of about
> > 2).
> > Protein and RNA contamination is a problem in these samples.
> >  A260/A280 is affected by contaminants and slow
> >  Fluorometry (as we do it, Hoefer TKO 100) is way too slow0
> >
> >  Any suggestions on this?

I have a simple way to do it.  You can just take a picture of DNA drops
(serialy diluted) on Parafilm.  Any kind of DNA with already known
concentration can be used as standard by making a few drop of serial
dilution.  Surely, ethidium bromide should be added into DNA solutin,
although I forgot the concentration.  As I remember, it's very small.
I hope this help you.

Yoonsuk Park, Ph.D.
Universtiy of Washington,
Department of Oral Biology.