Qiagen: This is ridiculous

Jeanne McAdara mcadara at scripps.edu
Mon Aug 26 16:54:00 EST 1996

Ian A. York wrote:

> I've been using Qiagen DNA preps for years.  The quality is great; as
> everyone who's used them knows, though, the yield is at best
> inconsistent.  At random intervals, and for no apparent reason, there
> will be absolutely no DNA produced.

I'm glad to hear someone else has been having similar problems.  Ok, well not glad,
but at least I know I'm not going crazy.  Our lab has switched back to cesium
because suddenly, after years of blissfully perfect DNA from our Qiagen preps, we
were getting nothing, or low yield DNA of very poor quality.  We haven't gotten
anywhere with Qiagen tech services.  They deny that anyone has ever had these
problems although I know that others have!  They insist that there must be
something we're doing wrong, but none of us has changed what we do, and we used to
use these columns quite regularly.

They've even offered to fly a tech services rep down here to purify our DNA in our
lab for us!

I think part of the problem might be that few researchers bother to put up a fuss
when a product stops working.  Most people probably just switch products.

Well, good luck to you.  I've found that Cesium really isn't as much of a hassle as
the DNA biotech products companies have encouraged us to believe, and the yields
are very high and very consistent.

Jeanne McAdara
The Scripps Research Institute
mcadara at scripps.edu