Transgenic reporter constructs

milstone milstone at rascal.med.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:41:46 EST 1996

The general dogma is that "vector" sequences can (that is, have
occasionally been observed to) alter the specificity of expression
driven by particular regulatory sequences in transgenic mice. My
impression is that the effect is quite variable with different
regulatory elements and that few investigators are currently interested
in systematically studying this aspect of transgenesis. Founders with
faithful expression can definately be generated at high frequency
without incorporating "protective" cloning vector flanking sequences in
transgenic constructs. It seems to me that the potential benefits of
including extra sequence are not very great.