Thrombin Cleavage of GST

Lyle Najita ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Aug 27 17:56:23 EST 1996

Evan Burkala wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have a fusion protein tagged to GST and am trying to cleave the GST
> fusion partner off with thrombin. It does not seem that cleavage is
> efficient if at all. Could anyone recommend a protocol that they know
> work? I would be extremely grateful.
>
> Another thing, is it necessary to cleave the GST off if wanting to inject
> into rabbits for antisera to the recombinant. I subsequently want to use
> the fusion protein (uncleaved) for ELISA. Will I get too high a
> background in the ELISA to the GST? Does anyone recommend raising
> antisera specifically against the recombinant?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Evan Burkala
> <eburkala at central.murdoch.edu.au>

Evan,

I used pGEX-2T to express portions of HDV delta
antigen and found that I had to use about 5 times
the amount of thrombin to cleave resin-bound fusion
protein as what was recommended in Current
Protocols in Mol.Biol.  I was using somewhere in
the neighborhood of 100ug with gentle agitation at
room temperature for 1.5 hours, adding another
100ug at 3 hours and 4.5 hours for a total
digestion of about 6 hours.

If you've already injected with your GST-fusion
protein, you will already have a good response to
GST, at least that's what I found with our fusions
injected into rabbits.  Anti-GST Abs came up right
away and with fairly high titre.  I eventually
started boosting with just the domain of interest
and was assaying by western.

Good luck,

Lyle Najita
University of California - Davis