RNA sizing against DNA markers

D. KIM dkim at nmsu.edu
Tue Aug 27 12:59:33 EST 1996

In article <4vq45a$276 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> GILLIAN NI BHARLO BOTANY PG <NIBHARLO at acadamh.ucd.ie> writes:
>Hello everybody!
>A question on behalf of a colleague. She has some photos of old RNA
>gels (agarose) with DNA markers on. What allowances does she make for
>sizing the RNA against these markers? Please dont suggest she runs
>them again, shes writing up and not in a position to do so.
>Thanks if you can help
>Gill

What method was used to denature the RNA?  I believe glyoxal/DMSO gels
will give good correlation between size and migration of RNA and DNA
denatured markers.  I do not know if the same is true of formaldehyde
gels.  If the samples were denatured with glyoxal, she can use the
markers "as is".

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu

p.s. I believe this was discussed several years ago in BioTechniques.
Try searching their archives.  DK