DNA contanimate

Birgit Jostes 100673.3643 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Wed Aug 28 09:10:00 EST 1996

I´ve followed the discussion in the Newsgroup about DNA decontamination
of pipettes. We, i.e. Eppendorf in Hamburg, recommend to use more gentle
conditions for decontamination of our pipettes from DNA.
We use a glycin/HCl buffer pH 2, and soak the lower part of the pipettes
for 10 to 30 minutes at 95 to 100 C. Then the pipette parts are rinsed
extensively with dest. water and dryed at max. 60 C. The pipette should
be checked and recalibrated.
We experienced that strong acids attack the metal parts inside the
pipette, whereas strong alkalis attack the plastic parts.
In contrast, rinsing the pipette with water only does not destroy the
nucleic acids.

Regards,
Dietmar Kahle, Ph.D.
Eppendorf-Netheler-Hinz GmbH, Hamburg, Germany
Marketing - Appliction Support