Westerns-blotting-BSA

Matt Hudson meh2 at le.ac.uk
Wed Aug 28 05:13:00 EST 1996

If you think it might be the secondary causing the trouble:

I got rid of my background problems by introducing a second blocking
step. If you just block before incubation with your primary, try a
secomd block in a lower conc. of blocking agent (say 1/5 what you used
when blocking before the primary) before you probe with the secondary.

Also, we use powdered skimmed milk as the blocking agent, which is a
whole lot cheaper than BSA (although would obviously cause problems with
detection of some mammalian proteins)
cheers
Matt