looking for a method to strip gel plates

Joan Shields joan at med.unc.edu
Wed Aug 28 16:05:33 EST 1996

brad swanson <bswanson at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu> wrote:
>I use a BioRad sequencing gel apparatus to run out microsatellite DNA and
>I coat one of the plates with Sigmacote to make it 'slick'.  I have noticed
>recently that the gels are starting to have difficultly staying on one
>plate.  Someone suggested that I need to strip the plates of the Sigmacote
>b/c the plates become 'overcoated' over time.  Does anyone have a recipe
>for a stripping reagent?  Thanks in advance!  Cathy Mossman

I generally clean my plates every so often with cerium oxide.  It's a
glass polishing powder - mix it with water to a thin paste and use kim-
wipes to rub it on the plates (circular motion).  You can tell you're
getting the silconizing film off when the water stops beading.

I do this to both plates then silconize one with Rain X (you can get it at
your local drug/hardware store).  Everytime I use the plates I clean them
well with soap and water - rinse with ddH2O - Rain X one plate (rub on in
a circular motion and let dry for a while then rub off) - rinse again with
some ddH2O and finish with an ethanol rinse to get rid of dust and water.

The cerium oxide wasn't very expensive and it seems to last a long while.
The Rain X is, imo, works much better than Sigmacoat or other stuff -
also, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and much much less toxic.

I also find that if I take real good care of my plates (we use regular
plate glass) and make sure they're well washed and occassionally stripped
and cleaned (re-Rain Xing everytime is probably overkill on my part but
you know, if it works don't fuss with it) they last for quite a long time
and give me great gels.

joan