Plasmid wanted: PiVX

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Mon Dec 2 14:18:11 EST 1996

On 2 Dec 1996 17:27:07 GMT, A.Habel <ahabel at> wrote:

>I am looking for a plasmid called piVX, which was constructed by Brian
>Seed a long time ago. As far as I  know it contains a supF insted an
>ampicillin resistance gene and has to be used with a special E.coli
>Does anybody know where to get both?

You can use any strain that has a marker that is dependent on
supF for expression.  I have used MC1061/P3.  MC1061/P3 contains
an episome (p3) that has ampicillin-amber and tetracycline-amber
genes.  It is available from Invitrogen.

If you cannot find an alternative source for piVX, let me know and
I can send you an aliquot.

Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research
University of Wisconsin-Madison