How to do NATIVE PAGE?

Rico Laage rico.laage at
Mon Dec 2 04:55:49 EST 1996

> via native PAGE (poly acrylamide gel electrophoresis).
> What do I have to think about when planning the experiment?
> Where are the differences between native PAGE and SDS-PAGE?
> I heart that one has to calculate the isoelectric point.
> But how can I do this with a 300 aa-protein? (the sequence is known)
> Thank you for your answer!
> Thorsten Schmidt

The best protocols are the ones from Schägger et al, you can try CN PAGE
where your proteins run due to their pI (they have to have a low pI) or
you can use Blue Native PAGE where Coomassie-blue binds to proteins
giving them a charge.

Schägger "Analysis of Molecular...." -Analytical Biochemistry
217,  p220-230 (1994)

best way to get a  pI for a known sequence is the WWW-page of swissprot:

have fun,

 Neurobiology                                                 Voice  +49
(6221) 54-4863
 Uni Heidelberg
Fax                          54-4496
 Im Neuenheimer Feld