-80 freezer reccomendations

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Tue Dec 3 11:47:00 EST 1996

eric anderson (e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org) wrote:
: Alan Nighorn <nighorn at manduca.neurobio.arizona.edu> wrote:

: > Our -80 freezer just bit the dust and we are looking to replace
: > brands of freezers. We have heard a rumor for example that Revco
: > freezers have slipped in quality lately.

: we just got a new revco a few months ago and have had no problems with it
: (so far).  i've heard both good and bad things about puffer hubbard's but
: personally have only bad experience with them.

We are happy with our 15 yr-old Revco. My only suggestion is that you buy a
freezer that has one of the new coolants in it. It is almost impossible (and
*very* expensive) to get the old, ozone-layer unfriendly variety, and
replacing the old with the new requires special equipment to salvage the
old, as well as replacing the oil in your compressors, if possible. And, if
you can't get enough of the oil out, you have to replace the compressors too.

Candy Krepel
Surgical Microbiology Research Lab, Medical College of Wisconsin
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu