Cocktail sticks and toothpicks supplier

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Dec 4 13:04:48 EST 1996

Harry Witchel (Harry.Witchel at Bristol.Ac.Uk) wrote:

> I am not aware of the kind of cocktail sticks/toothpicks that one can
> get at a Chinese supermarket, but I can say that supermarket brand
> cocktail sticks are generally impregnated with disinfectant for hygienic
> purposes.

I don't think they do this with the plastic picks(?).

> The best cocktail sticks for the lab are Canadian virgin wood.
> I can name a supplier, but he is a wholesaler who will only sell you a
> lifetime supply:
>
> Bray Leisure Ltd.
> Park Rd.
> Farringdon
> Oxford
>
>    Best wishes,
>    Harry

Are these known not to inhibit the PCR? Pine toothpicks were
found to kill amplification of DNA by Taq.

@article{Lee1995,
author = "A. B. Lee
     and T. A. Cooper",
title = "Improved direct {PCR} screen for bacterial
colonies: wooden toothpicks inhibit {PCR} amplification",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "18",
number = "2",
pages = "225-226",