Nde I restriction enzyme

Jared Head bijgh at zeus.bris.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 06:51:02 EST 1996

Martin Offterdinger (a8803349 at unet.univie.ac.at) wrote:
: Hi everyone!
:
: I have problems with a special restriction enzyme NdeI.
: I try to cut PCR products after RT PCR with restriction enzymes.
: What I do normally is to precipitate the PCR products with
: isopropanol, wash with 80% EtOH air dry and dissolve the pellet
: in the digestion mixture and incubate for 2h . Afterwards I load the
: digest directly onto an agarose gel. This procedure works very well,
: if I use BamH I to digest and I get my products cut very well-
: BUT IT DOES NOT WORK WITH NDE I.

I had exactly the same problems trying to clone a PCR product into a
plasmid using NdeI.  Even in a control experiment where I cut a plasmid
with a single NdeI then tried to religate it, the NdeI sticky ends would
never come together.

Eventually I just changed my brand of Nde1 (to Promega, if I remember
correctly) and it worked first time.  Still don't know why, unless it was
something to do with exonuclease activity.

Good luck,

Jared

--
Jared Head     at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol

  "Happily unaware of the disadvantages of being a terrible writer with
                              nothing to say..."