Storing RNA

Thibaud Le Mouel lemouel at antibes.inra.fr
Wed Dec 4 03:07:25 EST 1996

>I have been extracting RNA from S. solfataricus (an Archea)
>using the Trizol reagent. If I run the sample on a formaldehyde
>gel immediately after the extraction it looks good. However,
>after storage in DEPC treated water at - 20 even for a few
>days the sample shows substantial degradation. If you have
>any suggestions please reply by E-mail  dsprott at bio.uottawa.ca
>Thanks

Try to store them in formamide, it works very well. I have RNA in formamide
since few months and they are not degraded. See : P. Chomczynski, (1992).
"Solubilization in formamide protects RNA from degradation". Nucleic Acids
Research, vol. 20 No. 14, 3791-3792.

Good luck.

Thib.

   /O O  ./      .'   * Th. Le Mouel  <lemouel at antibes.inra.fr.>  *
    / .  . )    \     * 123, bld F. Meilland                      *
   .(   _(   )_.'     * 06606 ANTIBES CEDEX    FRANCE             *