"reverse northern" problems

eric anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Thu Dec 5 16:41:33 EST 1996

In article <32A7113B.989 at students.wisc.edu>, eheinecke at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU wrote:

Liz,

we recently had problems detecting rare differentially displayed genes on
Northerns because we lost some of the responsiveness in our cell line so
we had to come up with a way to get the signal better.  the solution was
basically using a bigger hammer.  instead of using 20ug of total RNA I
went up to about 50-75ug in each lane and tripled the amount of labeled
(32P-random primed) cDNA that I used to probe them.  this seems to work
pretty well for most of the genes.  so in your case, while i think that
you need to do the Northerns eventually i would try blotting lots more DNA
and/or increasing the amount of labelled probe that you use.

secondly, i found that the type of membrane you use can have a
difference.  i saw that, using the exact same protocol, two different
membranes gave dramatically different resolution.

good luck,

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson