DNA extraction from polysaccharide-laden plant tissue

Steve Pechous swp108 at psu.edu
Sat Dec 7 09:24:25 EST 1996

Hi everyone,
	     I have been trying to isolate DNA from a climbing vine
(Virginia creeper). This tissue (young leaf) contains very high levels of
polysaccharides. After CTAB/chloroform extraction, I use
5M NaCL to remove sugars. I have has some success (one prep. worked fine as a template
for PCR), but results are inconsistent at best. After 2 or 3 high salt ppt.'s, there
usually is little or no DNA left. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving yield
and purity?
Thanks much,
Steve Pechous
Penn State