A260/A280 ratios of oligonucleotide

Dima Klenchin klenchin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 10 13:04:09 EST 1996

In article <96344.143157ZXZ4 at psuvm.psu.edu>, Zhiyong Zhao <ZXZ4 at psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:
#As far as I understand, neither DNA nor RNA has A260/A280 ratios.

This is a good one.

#The A260/A280 ratio only tells you how pure your DNA or RNA samples are (280nm
#for poteins). The ratios at about 1.8-2.0 mean that your samples are pure enoug
#h to be used for most experiments. This standard may also apply to your oligo s
#amples.

You won't believe me but proteins do absorb at 260, and nucleic acids at
280. Get a clue - look at nucleotides, aminoacids (aromatic vs others),
pure RNA, and pure DNA spectra.

The answer concerning oligos is correct.

- Dima