What makes gels smile?

Tue Dec 10 17:24:21 EST 1996

In article <32acca82.iihema at iihema.fmed.uba.ar>,
Administrador de iihema.fmed.uba.ar   <postmast at iihema.fmed.uba.ar> wrote:

>>[snip]... attach a heat sink to your plates, such as an aluminum plate
>>(obviously so that it is not conducting (you'd be suprised someone wouldn't
>>think of this!)). [snip]...
>
>>Brett Lindenbach
>
>Would wrapping the gels in aluminun foil be good enough?

	No, you need something that has a fairly large heat capacity and
which firmly contacts the plate at all points.  Aluminum foil is too thin,
and its flexibility would make it impossible to make it touch the plate
except at the exact points where you've attached it.

	I use binder clips to attach my gels to an aluminum plate about 1/8"
thick.  The aluminum plate is as wide as the glass plates, but about 20 cm
shorter.  So the very top and the very bottom of the gel are not contacting
the aluminum plate.  This works fine for me.

--
Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989  (Ph.D. perhaps 1998???)