6-TG/HPRT

Sabine Hanelt sabine.hanelt at medizin.uni-ulm.de
Tue Dec 10 08:12:46 EST 1996

Hi netters,
in our group we are working with the hprt mutation assay and the BrdU assay to
detect HPRT deficient clones.
Since some weeks we have a never ending discussion about two things.
The first is: what does 6-TG (thioguanine) exactly do so that hprt proficient
cells die. Does the polymerization stop or are the enzymes not able to
translate mRNA with 6-TG into functional proteins, or both of it.
The second is: for the BrdU assay we use 6-TG in much higher concentrations
(34 µg/ml) than used in the "classical" hprt assay (2-10 µg/ml). Does 6-TG
bloc the growth of the cells when it is used in higher concentrations and if
this is the case, in which form does it bloc.
Thank's for your help
Sabine