Histones/poly(A) question

Marci Swede swede at biodec.wustl.edu
Tue Dec 10 16:28:58 EST 1996

Some histones messages do become Poly-A. For example, histone 2A varients
whose synthesis is s-phase independent (ie H2A.Z variants) jave poly-A
messages.  These histones have been identifed in organisms from flies to
pombe (but not cerevisiae) and tetrahymena.

 Tom Thatcher (ttha at uhura.cc.rochester.edu) wrote:
: In article <57sq7j$9rf at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>,
: Steven Sullivan <sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
: >
: >
: >I've read general statements in textbooks saying that histone mRNAs are
: >not polyadenylated.  Is this true of *all* (H1,2,3,4)?  And is this true
: >in all species?
: >

: Nucleic Acids Research 22:174 or 22:180 are two papers I wrote (shameless
: plug) on histone evolution.  As I recall, there are some references made
: to poly(A) and you could pick out the appropriate references from
: the citations.  Basically, the answers to your questions are No and No.

: --
: Tom Thatcher                          | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
: University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it
: ttha at uhura.cc.rochester.edu           | to crack nuts.