Cocktail sticks and toothpicks supplier

Andrew Wallace a.wallace at
Thu Dec 12 13:09:07 EST 1996

David Micklem wrote:
> In article <z62zbJArI$qyEwUq at>, "Dr. Duncan Clark"
> <duncan at> wrote:
> >I cheated and asked my Canadian distributor to locate ones I used years
> >ago. Flat style Kaybee toothpicks (650 per box), manufactured by Keenan
> >Industries Limited, Owen Sound, Canada, N4K 5P3. We've used them for
> >colony PCR for a over a year without problems. I can always arrange to
> >get a few hundred boxes over if people are interested. They were very
> >cheap and can be found in some Chinese supermarkets.
> >
> Yes! Kaybee - I just couldn't remember the name. Those are the ones we get
> from the local chemists.....
> David

We also use the Kaybee ones and they are certainly fine for colony
picking. I haven't tried them for colony PCR but they should probably be
OK. Someone suggested using a small pipette tip, but this is bound to
transfer more than 1 ul of liquid culture and I have seen that adding
too many bacteria inhibits the PCR. May be ok for colony picking, again
as long as you don't pick up too much stuff.

Andrew Wallace,Ph.D., Queens University Belfast,  N. Ireland (UK)
a.wallace at