How long will labelled oligos last?

mullenlynne at jsei.ucla.edu mullenlynne at jsei.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 12 14:36:51 EST 1996

In article <58jfln$cqq at kwuz.nerc-keyworth.ac.uk>, <bbur at dml.ac.uk> writes:
> From: Bill Burnett <bbur at dml.ac.uk>
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
> Subject: How long will labelled oligos last?
> Date: 10 Dec 1996 10:56:55 GMT
>

> Orright ar kids....
>
> If I end label some oligo probes with fluorescein-dUTP and
> terminal transferase, how long will they last in the freezer?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> B.

> Bill Burnett             bbur at dml.ac.uk
> Scottish Association for Marine Science
> P.O.Box 3, Oban, Argyll, Scotland

I had the same question several months ago, since I noticed a decline in the
PCR product generated for my ABI 310. I called ABI, and they said that labeled
oligos were only good for about a year, and that they aliquoted them into
several different tubes, since they noticed a problem with the number of times
you allowed an oligo to freeze-thaw.
	As for F[dUTP]s, they stated they were only good for 8-9 months!!!
	I was a little upset about this, and later spoke with a friend at
Duke, who thought that was nonsense. They use ABI dye-labeled oligosin PCR
reactions for genotyping  on a Molecular Dynamics Fluorimager, and have never
noticed a problem. So, since I had a Fluorimager, I tried it, and voila! There
it was!
	So now I'm just confused why a product specifically made for ABI workd
better on another company's machine.

	Lynne Mullen
	UCLA Macular Center