Protein Purification Help

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 07:55:27 EST 1996

If dialysis worked fine in the past, it may well be a good idea to stick
with it: Never change a working system!

However, buffer exchange is possible by gel chromatography. You
equilibrate the column with your second buffer, apply the sample (in the
first buffer) and elute with the second one. The protein will elute from
the column in the buffer which was used to equilibrate it.

If you are unsure about chromatographic techniques, the best source of
informations are the booklets published by Pharmacia, and available free
from your lokal representative. I am normaly not too keen on all the
paper which supply companies try cover my desk with, but that series of
booklets is a definite exception.