Removing the lipid from the protein sample

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 07:44:22 EST 1996

dykim at bioneer.kaist.ac.kr (Dooyeon Kim) wrote:
>Hi, Netters. Please help me to remove the too much lipid in my samples.
>I was trying to show the clear protein bands analyzed by SDS-PAGE with
>my protein samples. The problem is because my sample contains the too
>much lipids (it is the proteoliposomes),most of the bands are streaked
>or pushed upwards. To remove the lipids, I tried to use the TCA-acetone
>precipitation but could not get good results.

If you check Analytical Biochemistry, there was a publication about 2
years ago on the use of Phenol/Ether extraction of protein samples for
SDS PAGE. The sample is extracted with water saturated phenol, which
brings the proteins into the organic (lower) phase. Then the phenol is
removed by ether extraction, leaving the protein in the small amount of
water present in the phenol. This method should, in theory,  remove your
lipids.