Anomalous PCR product

Rubin Eitan bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il
Sun Dec 15 06:04:12 EST 1996

Solo-primer PCR products are formed by unspecific annealing of the same primers to two sites in the template DNA. It is highly likely that one on the annealing sites is specific, and that the products result from the correct template, although it is possible both annealing sites were unspecific.
  I have done some theoretical work on the subject of unspecific PCR (NAR 24(18):3358-3545). I am highly interested in such cases, especially if the sequence of the product is known. If readers of this news group encountered similar phenomena, they are requested to write me (bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il).  In some cases I might even offer help ;)
  Things I can offer for your friend without additional details (such as primers sequence, the type of template, and reaction conditions are:
1. Calibrate reaction conditions with regard to McCl2 and annealing temp
2. Design new primers...

Additional ideas require more information.

The Great American Gene Company (geneco at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Dear Folks:

: I was just contacted by a colleague with the following question.  It is
: not my field of expertise, but I believe that it is similar to a topic
: recently discussed here.  Can we have your comments and/or
: observations?  Both Neal and I would greatly appreciate any help you
: can provide.

: Posted for Neal Cornell:
: >        I have used an oligo for PCR which resulted in a major,
: unexpected
: >product of 600 bp.  The same  600 bp product was generated when no
: second primer >and no template DNA was put through the "PCR".  Do you
: have any experience to >suggest what might be causing this?
: >

: Thank you kindly,
: Michael T. MacDonell, Ph.D.
: --
: +---------------------------------------------------------+
: | "Stupidity is the basic building block of the Universe" |
: |                                           -Frank Zappa  |

--
       Eitan.

Eitan Rubin,
Plant Genetics, Weizmann Inst of Science, Rehovot, Israel.
EMail: bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il
Tel: (00972)-(8)9342421 Fax: (00972)-(8)9344181
EitanR at BioMOO (http://bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO) - visit
                                            the GCG help desk