How can I cofirm differential expression ?

eric anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Mon Dec 16 10:59:33 EST 1996

In article <32B50A68.765 at unitel.co.kr>, khsw124 <khsw124 at unitel.co.kr> wrote:

> I used differential display to detect genes that showed differenial
> expression and I detected over 60 different genes bur unfortunately, I
> have a little amount of RNA, so I could not perform Northern blot
> hybridization. What should I do next to confirm the differential
> expression in this case?

your best bet is to sequence the clones (assuming that you have them) that
showed differential expression and use that information to make RT-PCR
primers and do RT-PCR on them.  this is a stop-gap measure at best since
it's not the most definitive assay.  i've had differentially displayed
genes show up by RT and not by northern and the other way around.  if you
absolutely can't do northerns, then go with RT's, but only as a last
resort.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson