Plant rRNAs

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 16 06:45:44 EST 1996

Markus Piotrowski wrote:

> Dear netters,
>
> I'm actually doing total RNA-isolation from green plant tissue (Nicotiana
>  tabacum). When running the RNA on a gel I find at least five distinct
> bands. I know that some of them are 28S and 18S rRNA and some of them
> should derived from plastids and mitochondrial rRNA. Is there anyone out
> who can tell me:
>
> a. Which band is which rRNA (from the top to the bottom of the
> formaldehyd agarose gel)?
> b. What is the exact (+/-) size of these rRNAs?
>
> Thank you very much in advance
>
> Markus

The main bands that you see are the cytoplasmic 25S and 18S rRNAs, and the
chloroplast 23S and 16S rRNAs. The fragment sizes I have written down in
an old lab notebook are:  3580, 1926, 2890,and 1490 bases respectively -
these may be inaccurate. The larger of the two chloroplastic rRNAs is often
cleaved and runs as smaller fragments, below the 16S.

Yuletide greetings,

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html