Role of SDS in hybridization

Man Z un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 17 04:05:15 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.93.961216182252.56601A-100000 at dayhoff.med.Virginia.EDU>, the
honourable rk6n at VIRGINIA.EDU stated:

>Hi Netters,
>
>Can somebody there tell me the function of SDS in hybridization and
>washing solutions in library screening with DNA probe.What determines the
>concentration of SDS in these solutions?
>
>Thanks in advance for  answers.
>
>Rajesh

SDS has multiple functions: it will inactivate nasty enzymes
like DNAse and to a lesser extend RNAse which might nibble up
your probe. It is also a blocking agent which reduces backrground,
especially at high concentrations (e.g. 7%). I presume this has to
do with the negative charge of the molecule, but being an ignorant
molecular biologist, perhaps somebody else could help ?

clemens