Suggestions for vacuum pump

Dr. Michael T. MacDonell sendero at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 17 19:25:06 EST 1996

In <597cdt$9qi$1 at news-s01.ca.us.ibm.net> arkcon at ibm.net writes:

>HI all.  I want to buy a vacuum pump for a small private research lab.  I want
>to use it to degass acrylamide and other solutions, vacuum filter aqueous
solutions
>through .2 micron filter, etc. Looking through catalogs I have no idea what sort
of
>power I'd need for these tasks.  Let me know what you use.  P.S. --
cant use
>aspirator (no sink) and I've tried a hand pump sold by Cole Parmer,
didn't work.

>Thanx
>
>ARKCON at ibm.net

You know, you could approach the problem the other way round,
and buy a small tank of nitrogen or argon and bubble it through
the mixture.  That's the way it's done in lots of places where
vacuum pumps are hard to come by.  Keep in mind that all you
are trying to do is displace the oxygen (quenches free radical
formation).  Best way to bubble it is with some tygon tubing and
a bottle filter (folks with HPLCs usually have a couple extra).

Personally, if I can avoid the noise of a vacuum pump, I would.

-Mike

|"A common mistake that people make when trying to design |
| something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the |
| ingenuity of complete fools."            -Douglas Adams |