salmon sperm DNA

darren cikaluk dcikaluk at anatomy.anat.med.ualberta.ca
Wed Dec 18 08:54:53 EST 1996

Does anyone know how to properly prepare salmon sperm DNA?

Manniatus suggests to dissolve it to 10mg/ml, shear it, then extract
it with phenol/chloroform.  Shearing it is no problem but i tried to
extract it and it just looked like glue. After spinning it to seperate
the phases, the aqueous layer looked terrribleand very cloudy.  I'm
sure it is way too viscous and too conc'd to extract.  Therefore can
you get by without extracting? or what do I need to do.

Ps we will be using this for cell culture transfections and as a
blocking agent for blots.

darren