Cocktail sticks and toothpicks supplier

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 09:26:09 EST 1996

In article <596faf$8ps6 at ncisun1-nf0.ncifcrf.gov>, Paul N Hengen
<pnh at ncifcrf.gov> writes
>So, nobody can really confirm that wooden toothpicks are a problem for
>screening colonies by PCR????

We've used the Kaybee ones for a lot of colony PCR's (must be in excess
of a thousand) and have never had problems. We autoclave them in 30ml
glass universals then use them.

One minor problem. I did some colony PCRs in Hong Kong a few months ago.
The lab had dried their toothpicks at high temperature overnight after
autoclaving. I picked up a new batch, now cool, and gridded a plate. I
left the toothpicks sitting in 20ul water, which I normally don't do,
prior to a normal quick mix and heating at 100C for 5mins. They acted
like blotting paper and soaked up the 20ul in a couple of minutes flat.
So don't dry them too much then leave them sitting in water! All was not
lost as addition of a further 20ul, a quick mix etc and the PCR's worked
great.

Duncan

sliced from time to time....

Dr. Duncan Clark