Protein sticking to glass..

Thu Dec 19 19:11:40 EST 1996

At 02:55 PM 12/18/96 -0500, Rajesh Krishnamurthy wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have a rather elementary question for which I have not been able to
>locate the answer. I would appreciate it very much if you could take time
>to answer it.
>The issue is one of protein sticking to glass and
>pipette tips.
>(a) How serious is this problem? i.e. Is the percentage of protein
>sticking to glass quite high?
>(b) How can one avoid this problem?
>(c) I have heard of the method of silanization (sp.?) which is supposed to
>be
>useful in preventing protein adherence, but have not been able to locate a
>supplier of silanized glass. Could you please name atleast one supplier??
>
>Thanks.
>Rajesh
>P.S. Would there be any general references that talk about this problem?

I am not sure if one can buy silanized glasswares, but silanizing glasswares already available in the lab is no big deal. Different siliconizing agents are available from any of the number of suppliers (eg. Sigma). The procedure is also simple and Maniatis or the Red Book has it. You may try locating a procedure in the Meth. Enzymol. volumes too, if these two books are not there in your lab/dept.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003